CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

January 29, 2008

The search for knowledge, no, truth, no, beliefs?? (3)

What is knowledge? What is truth? What exactly is a belief? But more importantly what do these have in common or let alone how are they different? All of these are mind boggling questions that have completely scrambled my brain. And then trying to comprehend everyone else's view on the questions have left me in sort of a fog, i guess you could say.

In my opinion, which was very hard to sort out due to the complex mismatched sentences floating through my head, knowledge, truth, and beliefs all co depend on one another to make sense.

Knowledge, to me, is what you know, or what you think you know, what you believe to be true or what someone has taught you to be true. But points brought up by class mates has led me to think otherwise or more over analyze what i have previously over analysed, and view my own opinion as if i were the other person trying to understand myself. So maybe in a way that you will comprehend, knowledge depends on beliefs and truth, but to really understand this definition you would need to know the others right. So lets talk about those.

Let's go with beliefs next. To me a belief is something in you mind is true. In your opinion as a individual you know in your thoughts that the topic you are thinking about, your view on it, is the right view or opinion and that every one should think like you because you are right. Now after hearing and comprehending what others say I realize that you can actually believe something that isn't true.

Now for the truth. At first I thought that truth was something that had to be a proven fact or opinion, and by proven I mean that it would have to have something substantial and tangible to back up the theory. Now after hearing and listening I realized that in order for something to be true it doesn't necessarily have to be proven. Something that Morgan said helped me come to this realization. She said," If you were to take a lie detector test and you answered something that you believed to be true and the detector doesn't go off then it is the truth." So what I got from that is as long as you believe something strong enough it is true in your mind. I also realize that there can be something that is true but we as people haven't yet found out that they are true.

So now, after further evaluation of my own thoughts, I have realized that your knowledge depends on what you believe to be true. But you can also have things that are true that you don't know about as well as things that you believe but aren't nessecarily true. There are also things that you believe and have been proven true BUT you don't know that they are true, VERY complex stuff.

1 comments:

Mr. Hughes said...

I love the way you started this. Hilarious! I love the style of your writing in this post!